Sunday 28 June 2015

Work Shadowing Experience

Recently, my school organised a day where everyone in my year went into the world of work for a day. We could shadow a parent, a trusted guardian, or some random person who we just wanted shadow (with their permission of course!)

I had already planned before hand where I was going, as I was very excited about working & getting a day off school. Sooo... I went into a primary school and worked with some 5 to 6 year olds, (Year 1 people) as part of me wanted to be a teacher. I thought I would write about my experience of the day; Mainly for your enjoyment and my embarrassment when I look back here in 10 years time and think ''What an earth was I thinking?''


So it all started with waking up (as normal) as you do. I was actually lucky enough to have an extra half an hour of a lay-in, mainly because I wake up far too early for school each day (6.30am) so that was nice.

I arrived at the school and had to order my lunch for the day, (jacket potato) which went smoother than expected. Luckily, most of the people who worked at the school knew I was coming, so there weren't any awkward glances; more ''Hi Noah, what do you think of it here?'' We walked down to the classroom I was going to be working in for the day, and immediately got thrust into what was going on. The children were reading this book about feelings (talking of feelings, I really want to go and see Pixar's ''Inside Out'' film about feelings - looks awesome) and had to give their opinions. One of the feelings was about being scared and excited on a rollercoaster and I was surprised how many of them had never been on one. I understand they are young, but thought they would have perhaps experienced more by 6? Maybe it's just me having too high expectations.

Then the 1st proper lesson of the day began: Maths! They were learning about money and having change. It opened my eyes about how much kids were learning at a young age and how great they were at picking it up. People were rubbing coins on paper to recognize it. and it was great helping them and how they knew what £50 notes were. I was asked if I had loads of £50 notes = no!

Next it was Maths, the teacher read some of ''The BFG'' (Big Friendly Giant by the incredible Roald Dahl) while I stuck Maths sheets in their books. It was cool having a specific task to do and working through it, as I liked devoting loads of effort to it.

After break, (nothing that interesting happened there so I thought I would skip it) it was English where they were looking at the story of ''The Princess And The Pea'' I found it quite a strange story, as it has no logic to how feeling a pea under your mattress meant you were a princess. Now all girls will probably see themselves as princesses if they put a pea under one mattress. Oh dear. However, it was enjoyable helping them write their own versions of the story. For 6 year olds, their handwriting and imagination is great.

The best part of the day then began....Lunch time whooop! I spent around 15 minutes helping the kids cut up the jacket potato they were eating, lots were saying ''hi'' to me, so it was nice to feel popular for once! I ate my jacket potato (delicious) and had to write in my work shadowing ''diary'' what I have got up to (basically this, but expressing less of my inner thoughts)

The afternoon was ok, apart from having an ice-lolly due it being someone's birthday, nothing much else happened and then it was the end of the day.

Overall, I found the experience very enjoyable and interesting. Part of me would still like to work in a school, but as the teacher, so I could decide what we were learning etc.

Have you ever been to work for a day? What did you do? Was it fun/terrible?

As always, thank you so much for reading. It feels weird that you have taken time out of your valuable day to read this thing and I am very grateful for that.

Have a nice week, I plan to be posting stuff more.

Noah. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment